Do you love playing games on Steam? You’ve probably heard that you can get free Steam codes so you can save some money from buying games.
Steam is home to 120 million players and many ultra-popular games like Dota 2, PUBG Battlegrounds, Left for Dead, and Counter Strike.
Most of the best titles on Steam are paid games that players need to buy using their Steam wallet credits. The average steam game cost $60 a pop but other titles can cost as much as $199.
The good news? There are ways to get free Steam codes without spending a dime. The bad news is that there are countless scams out there waiting to trap gamers like you.
We strongly recommend not signing up for any site until you’ve finished reading this article.
In this guide, we’ve compiled a list of legit sites where you can earn free Steam gift cards. We verified each one by checking official and reputable non-official sources. We also scoured what users had to say on trusted review sites and forums.
Later on, we’ll also share where and how to redeem your free Steam gift codes. Let’s get started!
Are free Steam codes real or fake?
First, let's clarify what “free Steam codes” mean.
When we say “free,” we don't mean someone will just hand you a free Steam gift card for no reason.
Instead, many websites will reward you with points for completing super simple tasks.
You can exchange these points for gift cards, such as Steam wallet credits. You can also cash them out for PayPal cash, e-checks, and direct deposit.
So instead of spending your own money to buy Steam codes, you only need to spend a bit of time and effort to get them for free.
8 Legit Sites That Give Points for Free Steam Codes
The following rewards and cashback sites are some of the oldest and most trusted online.
They have thousands of positive user reviews on TrustPilot, SiteJabber, BBB, and other review aggregators. They also have a solid reputation for customer support and partnership with big companies like Amazon, Walmart, and Target.
Collectively, these sites have paid over $300 million to their users, so you don't have to worry about wasting your time and effort:
Swagbucks is a reward and cashback website where you earn points (called SB) by watching videos, taking surveys, shopping online and searching the web.
You can use these points to redeem free gift cards to a variety of stores and online services such as Steam.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on Swagbucks:
- Sign up for a Swagbucks account and get an instant $5 bonus.
- Start earning points, aka Swagbucks (SB), by completing easy tasks:
- Watch videos, sign up for sites, and play games for SB
- Answer surveys (some pay as much as $50 per survey)
- Search the web through their search engine to earn SBs as well
- Read emails in your Swagbucks inbox
- Refer your friends, family, and followers to Swagbucks – you get a 10% commission on all the points they earn.
- Participate in special promos like Daily Goal Bonuses and Tasks rewards
- Once you reach the $10 minimum payout, you can exchange your points for gift cards or cash.
Unlike other sites on this list, Honey is not a GPT site but an extension you install on your browser.
When you activate the extension on a shopping website, Honey automatically finds and applies coupon codes at checkout with a single click.
You can get free Honey Gold points when you make purchases through the site, which you can redeem for gift cards to Steam and other places like Amazon, Target, and Starbucks.
Don't have money to shop online? Volunteer to shop online for your family and friends using your Honey account.
They get to save money with discounts and exclusive deals, while the points go to your account.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on Honey:
- Join Honey by creating a free account. You'll receive a sign-up bonus of 500 Honey Gold points.
- Install the Honey extension on your browser. It works for most browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, and Safari.
- Once installed in your browser, use Honey when shopping online and look for the best deals with their promo code finder and coupon applier tool.
- When the transaction is complete, your account will be credited with the corresponding amount of points typically within 48 hours.
- Earn more points by completing offers like signing up for a trial subscription or taking a survey.
- Earn 500 points for each successful referral.
- Once you have enough, go to the Rewards section of your profile in the extension and click “Redeem.” From here, choose between your PayPal cash, digital gift cards, or direct deposit. Use these to purchase Steam credits.
InstaGC is a top-rated rewards site where you can earn gift cards and credits for completing a variety of fun tasks, including surveys, watching videos, searching the web, shopping online, and downloading apps.
You can also earn bonus points by completing weekly activities and referring your friends.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on InstaGC:
- Sign up for a free InstaGC account then go to the “Earn Points” tab on the website.
- Complete surveys and offers from third-party advertisers to earn points.
- You'll see all the available offers in the “Offers” section, and you can also find them under “Surveys,” “Videos,” or “Shop & Discover.”
- If you download the InstaGC app on your phone, it's even easier to find these offers.
- You can also rack up points by referring other users to InstaGC.
- Once you accumulate enough points, you can redeem them for free Steam codes or other rewards like Amazon gift cards and iTunes gift cards.
LifePoints is a paid survey website that rewards you for completing market research surveys.
Once you've accumulated enough points to redeem them for rewards, you can choose from their selection of gift cards—including gift cards to Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and many more online retailers.
LifePoints also offers direct cashouts via PayPal if you'd rather cash in your rewards directly
How to Get Free Steam Codes on LifePoints:
- Create a free LifePoints account.
- Fill out your profile as completely as you can. This gives you a greater chance of qualifying for surveys.
- Earn points by completing surveys – each survey will have a different reward amount associated with it. Surveys are worth anywhere from 5 to 250 points. More detailed surveys with longer estimated completion times will result in higher rewards.
- Refer your friends and receive an extra 60 points when they join.
- Cash-out your points for PayPal cash or digital gift cards and buy Steam codes.
Of all the sites on this list, GrabPoints is one of the easiest to use.
It's full of fun gamified elements that help keep users engaged and coming back for more—like a profile-building avatar that gets more elaborate as you earn points on the site.
You can earn points with GrabPoints in a variety of ways so that you can earn rewards faster—like sign up bonuses, referral promos, and more.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on GrabPoints:
- Create a free GrabPoints account with your email address or with Facebook. You'll get 50 points just for doing that.
- Do the tasks that are available on your GrabPoints dashboard such as:
- Download and use an app
- Watch a video (including ads)
- Take surveys about products and services
- Complete surveys about yourself (demographics, etc.)
- Try out product trials and services, from food delivery to online dating sites. You'll earn more points if you decide to buy the product or service, but you don't have to.
- Withdraw your earnings and spend them on Steam codes.
AppNana is one of the original gift card rewards apps, and it's still one of the best.
You can use the app to earn points, aka Nana, by downloading and trying out various apps. There are also plenty of microtasks on the site. These points can then be redeemed for gift cards, prizes, and more.
You can also enter your points in a raffle to win Amazon gift cards, or you can trade them for points on other sites.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on AppNana:
- Download AppNana on Google Play or the App Store and sign up for an account. New users receive 400 Nanas as a signup bonus.
- Once your account is set up, you can start collecting Nanas (points) right away by:
- Opening bonus chests
- Watching short ads
- Completing tasks like filling out surveys
- Playing games
- Inviting friends to join AppNana
- Joining AppNana community activities and more
- When you feel like you have enough points saved up, just cash out your balance for gift cards or cash and purchase your Steam codes.
InboxDollars is one of the earliest online rewards clubs. It's still a trusted name among GPT sites today and has paid out more than $50 million to its users.
The site pays members for taking surveys, watching video ads, and other activities requested by their affiliate partners.
You can also collect points by trying out brand-name services, shopping at partner merchants, or even playing games and watching TV shows.
Users can redeem points in the form of gift cards or cash via PayPal or check.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on InboxDollars:
- Sign up for an InboxDollars account, which instantly earns you a $5 bonus. You earn this bonus by confirming your email when you sign up.
- Select and complete available offers on InboxDollars.
- Shop online at your favorite stores through InboxDollars to earn cashback and points.
- You can also earn money from InboxDollars by referring friends. For every friend that signs up through your unique referral link and completes their first activity, you get a $5 bonus.
- The more you use the site, the higher your status becomes. Each time you reach a new status level, you get a bonus reward.
- Once you've earned a minimum of $30 on InboxDollars, you can cash out via eCheck, PayPal cash, or choose among the many gift cards they have. You can use any of these to add funds to your Steam wallet.
8. Survey Junkie
Survey Junkie is an established survey company that will pay you money for sharing your opinion.
The company has partnered with big-name brands like Netflix, Walmart, and Adobe, which are looking for consumer insights to help make their products better.
In exchange for sharing your opinion through Survey Junkie's surveys, you'll be rewarded with points that you can withdraw in the form of cash or gift cards.
How to Get Free Steam Codes on Survey Junkie:
- Create a Survey Junkie account and get $5 just for signing up.
- Fill out your profile completely and get a bonus by doing so within your first two days. The more details you provide, the better Survey Junkie can match you with surveys relevant to your demographic.
- Complete surveys to earn points. An average survey pays around 100 points and usually takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
- You'll also get paid a small commission for every friend or family member who signs up using your referral link.
- Once you've earned enough points, redeem for cash or e-gift cards to a lot of different brands and stores including Steam.
How to Exchange Reward Points for Free Steam Codes
Once you've accumulated enough points for a site's minimum payout, use these methods to claim your Steam redeem code:
1. Exchange your points directly for Steam gift cards
Some sites will offer Steam codes or gift cards as an option when cashing out your earnings. You can check this by navigating to the site's “Rewards” section.
If that's the case, then it's as easy as following their cash-out process and choosing your Steam code.
Once you have it, log into your Steam account to activate the code and add funds to your wallet.
2. Exchange your points for Amazon gift cards and purchase a code on Amazon
Most rewards sites offer Amazon gift cards as an option—and once you have one, they're just like real cash. You can then go on Amazon and use your gift card to purchase a code.
Activate this through your Steam account and top up your funds. You can immediately use that to buy games, apps, and other goodies in the Steam Store.
3. Get your payout as PayPal cash then buy a Steam code
Most point-based rewards sites allow you to withdraw your earnings as cash through PayPal, which is one of Steam's accepted payment methods.
Depending on the site, it can take anywhere from 24 hours to five business days for the money to appear in your PayPal account.
Once it's there, log into your Steam account, go to the site's Add Funds section, and choose how much you want to buy.
Checkout using PayPal and confirm your purchase.
The funds will instantly appear in your Steam wallet and are usable throughout the site.
4. Withdraw your earnings as cash through your debit card and purchase funds on Steam
To do this, make sure you're signed up with a rewards program that allows you to withdraw cash through a linked bank account.
Then, choose the “Withdraw” option from the home screen and choose bank transfer. It can take a few business days for the money to appear in your bank account.
Once it lands in your account, open up your Steam app.
Choose “Add Funds” on the bottom left-hand side of the screen and enter in how much money you want to add to your account balance.
From there, use it just like any other Steam gift card.
5. Use your points to buy a physical Steam gift card from select retailers
While this may not be the most convenient way to redeem your free Steam code, you can use your points to buy gift cards from brick-and-mortar stores like Walmart.
Then exchange those gift cards for a Steam code online.
Where can you buy Steam codes using your reward points or credits?
Here are some legit places where you can buy digital codes or digital and physical gift cards to top up your Steam wallet:
On the Steam website
Log into your Steam account and purchase directly through the platform. You can do this by going to the “Account Details” section of the site.
You can get a Steam code for yourself or gift one to a friend, buy and add funds directly to your Steam Wallet, or activate a Steam gift card. This is the quickest way to get started using your reward points.
From retailers all over the USA
You can buy Steam cards from a number of large retailers across the United States. Some of these include:
- Sam's Club
- Best Buy
- Dollar General
- BJ's Wholesale Club
Check Steam's list of retailers to find one near you.
From many online shopping sites
You can get Steam codes online through many popular online shopping sites like Amazon and eBay.
They frequently run sales, such as during Cyber Monday and Black Friday, so you may want to do a bit of research to get the most for your money.
From other players in the Steam community
Finally, you can find Steam codes for sale through other players in the Steam community.
You can find these trades by searching for “Steam” on Reddit, Facebook groups, online forums, Craigslist, and other places on the internet.
Always be careful when buying from strangers. Ask for some sort of proof before handing over your money. Some online communities also have a verification system where you can post a seller and ask other members to verify the person's legitimacy.
What can you buy using free Steam codes?
You can use Steam codes to refill your wallet, then use the funds to buy what you want from the Steam store.
For instance, you can use them to purchase games, downloadable content (DLC), expansion packs, and software on the Steam platform. They also allow you to buy in-game items like skins, weapons, higher membership levels, and unlock other perks.
You can also use your funds to bet on tournament matches for some multiplayer games like Dota 2. Finally, you can buy Steam gifts and codes for your friends or purchase something on their wish list.
FAQs about Free Steam Codes
Here are answers to some of the most common questions regarding free Steam codes or gift cards:
1. Are Steam wallet code giveaways legit?
It depends on who’s giving them away.
Legit sites like Steam and Gamestop often run contests and giveaways with Steam codes as a prize. You can also win them through legitimate third-party sites that partner with Steam such as Twitch.
Stay away from sketchy sites offering free Steam gift cards in exchange for your personal and banking information.
2. Where can I find a free Steam code generator online?
Nowhere. Free generators are a common online scam. Any site that claims to have a Steam code generator is most certainly out to steal your information.
They'll usually ask you to enter your personal details and other information like your PayPal account or Steam account so you can access the generator. This is a form of phishing and a quick way to harvest your information.
These fake Steam code generators may also download a virus to your laptop or phone when you click it, which could give hackers access to pictures, documents, passwords, and contacts saved on your device.
3. Which sites give free Steam codes with no surveys?
There are many sites where you can get points without answering surveys. You can get these by completing tasks like watching videos, playing games, writing reviews, signing up on apps, and surfing the web.
However, answering surveys is one of the best and fastest ways to get free Steam codes because they pay better than most tasks. For instance, you could get $5 to $50 from just one survey.
In comparison, other tasks like reading emails and watching videos only offer a few cents each.
You can also use cashback sites which automatically give you points when you shop, but you do need to spend money first.
It usually takes a while before you can get enough points to withdraw your earnings from reward sites. Still, since you don't have to spend anything but your time, they can be a great way to save up for free Steam codes without too much effort.
As always, watch out for scams and never give out your personal and banking information in exchange for rewards.
We hope you found this guide useful and good luck on your quest for Steam codes!