Are you someone who loves answering random questions on Quora or Reddit? Do you like sharing your expertise on different topics? If you answered yes to both, then you’ll probably like JustAnswer.
Perhaps you've learned from colleagues or online sources that JustAnswer is a good side gig.
You probably think that this may be a good way to earn extra cash during your free time or low season.
Why not make money by sharing things you already know, right?
However, you're not sure if this platform is worth your time and effort. Is it a legitimate site? Or is JustAnswer a scam that you should avoid? We understand that you don't want to provide answers without making money at all.
In this JustAnswer review, we'll take an in-depth look at the platform. We did our research and scoured the web to answer your concerns.
We'll cover topics such as how much you can earn, what the process of answering questions is like, and share what other experts have said about the site.
By the end of this post, you can decide if JustAnswer is a platform you’d like to try out. You can also learn some tips and tricks on making the most out of your JustAnswer side gig.
In this article
- What is JustAnswer?
- Who is JustAnswer for?
- Can you make money with JustAnswer?
- How does JustAnswer work?
- How much does JustAnswer pay?
- How much can you earn on JustAnswer?
- How do you get paid with JustAnswer?
- Is JustAnswer a Legitimate Site?
- How do you qualify as an expert on JustAnswer?
- How to sign up for JustAnswer
- Pros and cons of JustAnswer: What do other experts say?
- Tips for making the most of JustAnswer
- Final Thoughts: Is JustAnswer a Good Way to Make Money?
What is JustAnswer?
JustAnswer is a Q&A platform where people can get help from experts on various topics. Topics are wide and varied, including law, medicine, IT, wellness, etc.
If you have expertise in a particular area, you can sign up to become an expert on JustAnswer. Then, you can start earning money by answering questions from people who need help.
There are 700 categories you can choose from, or you can also answer general catchall questions.
The company was started in 2003 by Andy Kurtzig. He called it ExpertAsk. The idea came to the founder when his wife was pregnant and couldn't get in touch with a doctor for his questions.
Since then, the company has grown into a platform with over 12,000 experts in 196 countries.
Many people find JustAnswer quite helpful because you can get accurate answers from real experts. So instead of spending time reading unverified content online, JustAnswer can help you get reliable answers quickly.
Who is JustAnswer for?
With JustAnswer being a Q&A platform, there are two main groups of people using the site – those who need help and those who can provide help.
If you need help with something, you can visit JustAnswer, type in your question, and browse through different categories to find an expert who can answer your question.
According to customer reviews on BBB, the monthly subscription fee for being a customer ranges from $29 to $74 a month. The subscription usually allows you to ask unlimited questions.
There are periods where the site also offers a paid trial, priced at $1 to $5 before they charge you for the monthly subscription fee. You have to be careful in accepting such offers.
If you don’t want to pay the monthly subscription, make sure you understand the auto-renewal option before clicking the boxes. You also have to make sure you’ve canceled your membership to avoid the fee.
JustAnswer is a great platform to consider if you like responding to questions online. You get paid for every question that you answer and the amount you earn will depend on the category you're in.
Some categories pay more than others. For example, experts in the medical and legal fields tend to earn more than those in the general catchall category.
As mentioned earlier, there are 700 categories that you can choose from, but you have to ensure that you’re really an expert to get accepted.
Can you make money with JustAnswer?
Yes, you can make money with JustAnswer. However, the amount of money you make will depend on different factors:
- Your expertise category
- The quality of your responses
- Your customer rating
- The number of hours you commit to the site
How does JustAnswer work?
Expertise is key on JustAnswer. So when you sign up and get accepted as an expert, you’ll be matched with questions that fit your expertise.
You’ll then have the opportunity to answer these questions and receive payment for your time and knowledge.
The process is simple: once you're accepted as an expert, you'll be able to see all the questions in your area of expertise.
You can answer any question you like or skip it if you don't have the time or knowledge.
The customers will rate your answer if they find it helpful or useful to their concerns.
When you provide quality answers, you'll get higher customer ratings. The customer ratings contribute to your profile, which could affect the rate you can get paid.
Because you can choose what questions to answer and how many to answer, your work hours are up to you.
There’s no scheduled shift or a minimum number of questions you need to answer, so you can work it around your daily routine.
How much does JustAnswer pay?
As an expert with JustAnswer, you can make 20% to 50% of what the customer is paying, depending on your category.
We learned that the pay rate is usually higher for verified experts with a track record of high customer ratings.
Experts dealing with more complex fields like law or medicine tend to get paid more.
The amount you make will also depend on the quality of your answers and how many questions you answer in a day.
We also learned that in the past, there have been complaints from experts. Some experts shared that they've found themselves answering questions and not getting paid.
That’s because their answers have not been rated or picked by the customer. This usually happens even if the answer is accurate or helpful.
Because of this, JustAnswer reportedly changed its system to guarantee that experts will get paid. We found that one expert who works for the site shared that there’s a tiered system where you can get paid from $2 to $13 or more per question that you answer.
The website's algorithm will position you into the tier depending on your performance. Unfortunately, at the moment, JustAnswer has not indicated how exactly this algorithm works and what the factors are for evaluating your performance.
Here are the tiers and sample rates as provided by one expert. Please note that these JustAnswer pay rates may be higher or lower per category.
- Tin – $2 per question
- Bronze – $4 per question
- Silver – $9 per question
- Gold – $11 per question
- Platinum – $13 or more per question
How much can you earn on JustAnswer?
The JustAnswer website states that you have the potential to earn an average of $2,000 to $7,000 per month as an expert.
If this is true, this is undoubtedly a great way to make money on the side. You can even make a full-time income if you're an expert in a high-paying field. But, of course, your earnings will depend on different factors we stated earlier in this article.
How do you get paid with JustAnswer?
Experts on JustAnswer will be signed up on a platform called Hyperwallet, which is used to track your payments. You need a minimum of $20 per month to cash out.
You can cash out either through direct deposit, PayPal or Venmo if you’re in the United States.
Is JustAnswer a Legitimate Site?
Yes, we can say that JustAnswer is a legitimate site. It’s not a scam.
However, some customers and experts posted feedback saying it’s a scam because of its non-transparent pricing and payment policies.
While these concerns are valid, they don’t make JustAnswer a scam company.
How do you qualify as an expert on JustAnswer?
If you reached this part of the article, you're probably more interested in signing up as an expert for JustAnswer. What is the expert selection process like? Is it difficult to get accepted?
Before you even sign up for JustAnswer, you need to ensure that you're qualified in the category you're planning to target.
- If you're planning to answer questions about pets and animals. Then, you need to have a degree and license in Veterinary Medicine.
- If you want to answer yoga-related questions, you need to be able to show relevant yoga training and certifications.
- For general topics, experts may include librarians, researchers, teachers, and writers.
How to sign up for JustAnswer
While there are only three steps shown on the JustAnswer Become An Expert section of the website, you have to pass an 8-step Expert Quality Process to succeed on the platform.
To give you a clear idea of what you need to go through, here’s a step-by-step guide to being an expert on JustAnswer.
Step 1: Apply on the JustAnswer website
Go to the JustAnswer website to apply as an expert. Make sure that you prepare your documents beforehand to make the process faster. Some of the requirements to apply as a JustAnswer expert include:
- Social Security Number
- Valid Identification
- Resume with your professional experience
- Relevant licenses, degrees, and certifications to prove your expertise
Step 2: Background check
JustAnswer uses a third-party verification company to confirm that your credentials are valid. This can take a few days but not longer than two weeks for the USA and Canada.
For other countries, this process can take three weeks or less.
Step 3: Receive a confirmation email
You’ll receive a notification once you qualify as an expert. JustAnswer will contact you through email to confirm your identity and credentials.
Step 4: Start answering questions
JustAnswer will provide you the tools that you need to start answering questions from customers. You’ll get matches for questions that are relevant to your category. The frequency will depend on how popular your category is.
Step 5: Maintain your performance to boost your profile
The key to increasing your JustAnswer pay rate is to provide quality answers every time. This is how you go up to the tier.
According to JustAnswer, there are three methods to rank expert profiles:
- Customer Ratings – These reflect the customers' satisfaction and are displayed on the expert's profile.
- Peer Reviews – Other experts can flag your responses if they believe that it needs improvement or is incorrect.
- Quality Algorithm – This is enforced to determine the expert's tier and pay rate in the platform. If you fall below standards, you can get booted out of the site.
- Secret Shoppers – These are planted customers tasked to review the performance of experts. You have to ensure that you deal with every customer or question professionally to avoid getting a bad review.
Pros and cons of JustAnswer: What do other experts say?
Just like any other platform, there are good and bad points to using JustAnswer. Here are some of the pros and cons that we found out. You need to know them before you decide if it's the right platform for you.
- Higher earning potential if you have expertise.
- The flexible working hours allow you to earn whenever and wherever you are.
- You can choose what questions to answer.
- You can see how much the pay rate is before accepting to answer a question.
- It can be satisfying to help people from all over the world with your expertise.
- The application process is a little bit more rigorous than other platforms as there’s a background check.
- It can be difficult to find matches for questions if you're in a less popular category. It cannot be a dependable full-time job.
- The tiered system in determining your pay rate can be confusing and non-transparent. Some users complained of being bumped down a tier with no clear reasons.
Tips for making the most of JustAnswer
How do you become a successful expert on JustAnswer? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have actual expertise in a category. This will make it quicker for you and less stressful to come up with answers.
- Prepare a list of commonly asked questions and answers in your field. This way, you can have an easy reference when you encounter these questions.
- Be quick to answer questions, but make sure that you're providing quality responses. This is how you get good customer ratings and avoid getting negative peer reviews.
Final Thoughts: Is JustAnswer a Good Way to Make Money?
Being an expert on JustAnswer is a great way to monetize your skills if you have certain expertise. It's a platform that allows you to work at your own time and pace. The key is to be consistent in providing quality answers to questions.
However, you should also keep in mind that it may not be a reliable income stream. The pay rate can also be very low, especially if you're just starting out.
Thus, it's best to treat JustAnswer as a way to supplement your income rather than relying on it as your primary source of income.