This post may contain affiliate links. Which means we may earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
You’re struggling to stretch your budget and sometimes you’re overspending. Unfortunately, you can’t cut down your purchases any further, especially the essentials. How else can you save on your shopping?
You might have heard about apps that give cashback, such as Receipt Hog. Getting rewards and rebates every time you shop sounds like a great idea. But how does it work?
The Receipt Hog app is getting popular, so we’ve researched the best way to use it. We’ve tried the app ourselves to experience it firsthand. We’ve also checked official sources and independent sites like BBB, TrustPilot, and Reddit to see the good and the bad that people say about it.
You can discover the best tricks to receive rewards, so don’t skip this article. We encourage you to read until the end to know which app pays the most for receipts. This way, you can avoid wasting time and money on shopping.
Table of Contents
- What Receipt Hog is
- How Receipt Hog works
- How to make money using Receipt Hog
- How to exchange coins for rewards
- How much you can earn on Receipt Hog
- Receipt hog tips and tricks
- Receipt hog alternatives
- Is Receipt Hog worth it?
What Receipt Hog is
Receipt Hog is a software company that offers an app where you can upload your receipts in exchange for cashback. You can also link your loyalty accounts and answer surveys, which you’ll discover in the later sections.
It started in 2016 and has more than 1 million downloads on Google Play.
So how does Receipt Hog make money?
It partners with retailers to encourage customers to shop at their stores. It also earns commissions from customers’ engagements on the app.
How Receipt Hog works
Receipt Hog allows you to earn by scanning receipts and completing surveys to collect coins. You can also enter sweepstakes or spin the slot to earn more. After getting at least 1,000 coins, you can redeem your rewards.
When we tried the app, we received 50 coins as a bonus.
Here’s how you can sign up on Receipt Hog.
- Download the app on App Store or Google Play.
- Open the app, then click “Sign Up.”
- Provide your country, date of birth, gender, email, and password. Currently, it’s only available in the US and Canada.
- Check your email for the verification code, then enter it on the app.
You might notice that there’s no sign-up option on the website. This means you can only register using the app. Fortunately, you can log in to the website to complete surveys and invite friends.
Also, take note that you may only open one account. According to the app, opening more than one account may result in the suspension of rewards.
How to make money using Receipt Hog
You can make money and increase your Receipt Hog rewards levels in several ways:
1. Scan receipts
From the name itself, the main use of Receipt Hog is for users to upload proof of purchase to redeem coins.
Here’s how you can submit receipts:
- Find “Receipts” at the bottom of the app’s home page.
- Click the camera icon to start scanning.
- Take a picture of your receipt, then click “Done.”
Each receipt must include:
- Store name
- Date of purchase
Some stores’ receipts that the app accepts:
- Convenience stores
- Liquor stores
- Dollar stores
- Pet supply stores
Each receipt is worth 5 to 20 coins based on your bill, and you’ll need at least 1,000 Receipt Hog coins to cash out.
Also, one receipt is equivalent to one sweepstakes entry.
|Less than $10||5|
|$10 to $50||10|
|$50 to $100||15|
|More than $100||20|
2. Link accounts
You can also connect your eCommerce accounts to earn more coins.
- Find “Link” at the bottom of the app’s home page.
- Choose from the stores listed, then click “Connect.”
- Provide the email and password of your account on the selected retailer.
- The app requires you to buy from a connected account. To earn coins, remember to stay logged in on the retailer’s app.
The app also allows you to link your email to receive rewards.
We’ve discovered that linking another account entitles you to a one-time bonus of 75 coins. The app also awards 10 sweepstakes entries that you can use later to exchange your coins for money.
You can check out this list of Receipt Hog’s partners.
Restaurant and Cafes
- City Market
- Dillon’s Marketplace
- Foods Co.
- Fred Meyer
Convenience and Drug Stores
- Circle K
You can also get double rewards when you upload receipts from the following stores:
You’ll find the complete list of partner retailers and stores on the app.
3. Answer surveys
You can earn 30 coins by completing the Receipt Hogger Questionnaire.
- Find “Surveys” at the bottom of the app’s home page.
- Click “Go” to start answering.
Receipt Hog will ask several questions, such as the following:
- What’s your gender, date of birth, zip code, and employment status?
- What’s your annual household income?
- Do you have Hispanic, Spanish, or Latin origin?
- Do you consider yourself to be multi-racial?
- How many people currently live in your household, including yourself?
- Do you agree to give your full real name?
After completing the questionnaire, 30 coins will be credited to your account immediately.
According to the app, it asks for your information to understand your shopping habits.
You can answer the survey either on the app or the website. Answering surveys on the website will entitle you to a Receipt Hog browser bonus of 30 coins.
4. Invite friends
You can earn more by inviting your friends to join Receipt Hog. You can access the referral link on the app and website. For every successful referral, you’ll have 10 Hog Slot spins, which we’ll talk about more later.
Here’s how to refer a friend using the website:
- Select “Invite Friends” from the top menu.
- You can share the link via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- The website also shows your referral code and link that you can copy to give directly to family and friends.
Here’s how to access the referral link using the app:
- Look for “Bonus Rewards” on the app’s home page.
- Tap “Invite Friends”.
- A pop-up will appear to allow you to share the link on Facebook, Twitter, and email.
- You can also copy the code and give it to friends and family members.
How to exchange coins for rewards
On Receipt Hog, you can earn coins and spins. But what’s the point of collecting them?
1. Redeem coins
You can redeem coins through Amazon, Visa, and PayPal.
Go to “Rewards,” located at the bottom of the app’s home page. Before redeeming your coins, the app will require you to:
- Answer a questionnaire
- Verify your device and email address
We’ve encountered a minor problem since the app didn’t automatically receive the information that we’ve already verified the email address. But it was solved when we logged out of the app, then logged in again.
Before you can verify your phone number, you need to have at least 300 coins in your account, which you can reach by:
- Collecting the sign-up bonus
- Completing the survey
- Scanning receipts
- Connecting your email address
- Spinning the Hog Slot
Here’s how you can redeem your coins for money;
- On the Redeem page, click Amazon.
- Select a gift card, then confirm your email address.
- You can expect the gift card code for up to seven days.
- Use this code to purchase from Amazon.
- On the Redeem page, click PayPal.
- Choose a cash amount, then enter your PayPal email address.
- You can expect PayPal’s email within seven days.
- Check your PayPal account after receiving the email.
- Use PayPal cash to buy from stores or increase your savings.
- On the Redeem page, click Visa.
- Select a prepaid card, then confirm your email address.
- You can expect the activation link within seven days.
- Tap the activation link, then create a digital wallet account to receive the code.
- Use your Visa gift card in stores where Visa debit cards are accepted.
2. Spin the slot
You can earn one spin for each receipt you upload. But what can you earn from the Hog Slot?
You can receive bonus coins, which can help you achieve 1,000 coins for Receipt Hog cash out.
- Go to “Rewards,” located at the bottom of the app’s home page.
- Scroll down, then click “Spin the Slot.” The app will show how many spins you have.
- On the next page, click “Pull.”
We’ve earned 5 coins on our first try, but you can earn up to 400 coins if you get the right combinations.
How much you can earn on Receipt Hog
Some users reported making $25 a year, which is considered a low payout.
According to the website, you can earn the following cash rewards:
To receive $5, you need to scan 50 receipts, and each must have at least $100. You can also upload receipts with a lower amount, but it will take longer to cash out.
We’ve collected some tips to increase your coins fast.
Receipt hog tips and tricks
You can try these techniques to reach 1,000 coins or more as soon as possible.
- Make sure that the receipt’s important details are visible on the picture you uploaded.
- Take pictures of your receipts after going to retailers or stores. According to the app, you need to scan the receipt within 14 days after your purchase.
- Scan receipts each week so you can get bonuses.
- Try to earn at least 100 coins per week from receipts, so the succeeding uploads will be worth 5 coins each, regardless of their total bill amount.
- Upload online receipts because you can collect 20 coins per e-receipt.
- Complete the welcome bonus requirements to make additional 500 coins.
Receipt hog alternatives
If you’re interested in making money by scanning receipts, you can also try the following cashback apps:
Receipt Hog vs. Fetch, which is better?
In terms of interface, both apps are user-friendly. You can easily take pictures of your receipt in exchange for coins.
For every 1,000 coins, you can get $1 from Fetch. Although Receipt Hog has a higher cash equivalent, some users of both apps reported that they earned more using Fetch than Receipt Hog.
You can receive the cashback within 24 hours.
Is Fetch or Ibotta better? Which should you choose, Receipt Hog or Fetch?
Fetch is better than Ibotta in terms of cashback since you can make more than $250 using Fetch.
But if you want to shop without having to check the app first, you can use Fetch and Receipt Hog instead of Ibotta.
Which is better, Receipt Hog or ReceiptPal? Some users claimed that they earned $10 per month on ReceiptPal. This is more than the usual $25 yearly payout that Receipt Hog users reported.
Like the other apps, ReceiptPal has a user-friendly interface that makes uploading receipts an easy task.
Is Receipt Hog worth it?
Based on most users’ experience, Receipt Hog offers a low payout compared to similar apps like Fetch, Ibotta, and ReceiptPal.
Despite this issue, you can upload almost any receipt. We find it easy to use since you only need to scan your proof of purchase. The app won’t require you to provide any other personal details.
You can also take advantage of bonuses to collect more coins and exchange them for money or gift certificates.
You may not make a fortune here or earn a full-time income, but based on our experience, Receipt Hog is a great addition to other cashback apps that you use.