Contactless payments have become more popular in recent years, allowing us to make quick transactions and efficient payments at stores. If you’ve just activated your Apple Pay, or you plan to do so, you might be wondering if you can use it at Target.
The quick answer is yes. You can use your Apple Pay at Target. But how does it work?
That’s what we looked into. We checked Target’s official site and other reputable sources online, as well as gathered some tips from consumers who have been using Apple Pay.
In the end, we also shared one of the biggest concerns of users about Apple Pay. So stick with us, and don’t miss out on crucial tips that will allow you to make the most of your Apple Pay.
In this article
- Can you use Apple Pay at Target?
- How to use Apple Pay at Target stores
- How to use Apple Pay at Target Self-Checkout
- How to use Apple Pay on Target website
- How to Use Apple Pay in the Target mobile app
- Are there any fees when you use Apple Pay at Target?
- How to set up your Apple Pay?
- What are the pros and cons of using Apple Pay at Target?
- Is Apple Pay secure?
- Where is Apple Pay accepted?
- Final thoughts
Can you use Apple Pay at Target?
Target accepts Apple Pay as one of its modes of payment. You can use your Apple Pay when you shop at Target.com or through the Target app.
Target also accepts contactless digital wallets at its brick-and-mortar stores, including Apple Pay. You can also pay for your purchases at self-checkout counters at Target stores.
How to use Apple Pay at Target stores
When you’re ready to pay at a Target store, simply proceed to the counter. You’ll see the RFID symbol that looks like a Wi-Fi signal that faces sideways. The card reader should say “Tap” next to the RFID sign.
- Open your Apple Pay app on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
- Bring your device closer to the card reader.
- Wait for the screen to confirm that the payment has been completed. There’s usually a beep or thank-you message that will appear.
- Follow any prompts on your Apple device, such as holding Touch ID or double-clicking the side button to confirm the payment.
- Finish the checkout process and get your purchases and receipt.
How to use Apple Pay at Target Self-Checkout
The self-checkout counters at Target usually have shorter lines, so it’s faster to finish your shopping.
You just have to scan your items yourself, then use your Apple Pay to pay. The steps are quite similar to when a cashier has to do the checkout for you.
How to use Apple Pay on Target website
You can use your Apple Pay on Target.com, but remember to use Safari, your Apple device’s default browser. Apple Pay isn’t supported using Google Chrome or other third-party browsers.
- Add to the cart the items you want to purchase.
- Click checkout and select Buy with Apple Pay.
- Use your Touch ID or Face ID to confirm payment.
How to Use Apple Pay in the Target mobile app
You can also shop using the Target mobile app and pay using your Apple device.
- Open the app and select Payment option at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Add Payment Method, then choose Apple Pay.
- Go back to the main dashboard and start shopping.
- When you’re done adding items to the cart, proceed to Checkout.
- Select Apple Pay as your payment method.
- Use Touch ID, Face ID, or passcode to confirm your payment.
Are there any fees when you use Apple Pay at Target?
No, there aren’t any additional charges when you use Apple Pay Target stores, Target.com, or the Target app.
There are also no limits to the amount you can spend at Target using Apple Pay.
How to set up your Apple Pay?
If you haven’t set up your Apple Pay, let’s get that covered too.
Apple Pay makes your shopping and other payment transactions more secure. You don’t have to bring cash or your physical debit or credit cards in your wallet, avoiding the risks of theft or losing them.
Apple Pay also makes your transactions faster than when you have to hand over your card to the cashier or pay with cash.
Apple Pay is built into your Apple devices (iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, and iPad), so you don’t need to download any other app.
Here’s how to set your Apple Pay:
- Open your Wallet app.
- Tap the + button at the right-hand corner of your device.
- Scan your debit or credit card or enter your card details manually.
- Follow bank instructions.
- Done. Your card details are added to your Wallet.
Can Target RedCard be used with Apple Pay? Unfortunately, RedCard, your Target credit card, isn’t compatible with Apple Pay yet.
What are the pros and cons of using Apple Pay at Target?
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of using Apple Pay:
- • Allows efficient contactless payments
- • Convenient to use
- • Makes transactions faster
- • Protects personal information
- • Not available on all devices and browsers
- • Requires a debit or credit card
Is Apple Pay secure?
One of the biggest concerns of Apple Pay users is how secure this method is. Is it safe to use?
Definitely. Apple assures you that it doesn’t store your card numbers on its servers, although you can see your most recent purchases on your Wallet app.
Apple Pay uses a tokenized backend infrastructure, which creates a token or number to replace your card details. It’s called Device Account Number, which is assigned, encrypted, and stored in a dedicated chip on your Apple devices.
Target, or any other stores, doesn’t have direct access to your card information when you use Apple Pay.
Where is Apple Pay accepted?
According to Apple’s official website, around 85% of retailers in the United States accept Apple Pay. You can use it almost anywhere that has contactless payment systems, even at taxis, subway stations, and vending machines.
Here are some of the retailers that take Apple Pay:
- Whole Foods Market
Can you use Apple Pay at Walmart? Unfortunately, no. Walmart has its own digital contactless payment system called Walmart Pay.
That’s the main reason that Walmart doesn’t take Apple Pay and doesn’t plan to do so anytime soon. It wants Walmart Pay to be its exclusive mobile payment method.
Regardless, you can use Walmart Pay on your iPhone if you’re looking for a convenient way to pay at Walmart. You just have to scan the QR code at the checkout counter; then, you’ll get your receipt to your Walmart account. You don’t have to pay cash or by card at the counter anymore.
Apple Pay is a secure and convenient way to pay for your purchases, and it’s great that Target already accepts it at its physical stores, website, and mobile app. You just have to ensure that your debit or credit card details are added to your Wallet and that you use Apple devices when shopping at Target.